Mmmmm Spaghetti, definitely a comfort food and a favourite of the kiddos. But there isn’t much nutrition in the average bowl or pasta and tomato sauce so we jazz ours up a bit to make sure it not only tastes great but checks off some important nutritional requirements.
The noodles are Turmeric Spaghetti noodles that we buy from Costco. When it comes to noodles you can’t really escape it being a refined carbohydrate. We eat it at most once a week (probably less, because I forget about them and wait for the kids to remind me) which is what I would recommend. The turmeric is a nice bonus, since it is an anti-inflammatory.
But the sauce!!! Oh the sauce!!! I tasked my husband with dinner one day and thought that after his long day at work spaghetti and sauce was the perfect solution… I had no idea I would get the pleasure of enjoying this amazing sauce full of nutritional goodness. He never ceases to amaze!
- spices (paprika, turmeric, S&P, oregano, basil, thyme)
- chopped it in your food processor until it’s like little pebbles
- add the mixture to the frying pan and sauté in a splash of vegetable stalk, until the veggies are soft
- in a pot start warming diced or crushed tomatoes (depending if you like to have chunks of tomatoes in your sauce)
- add your frying pan mixture to the tomatoes – simmer for about 10 mins
*** adding couple prunes or a splash of liquid smoke to your tomatoes will give it a nice smokey, rich flavour ***