I’ve been committed to putting oats into my pancakes for a while now and full disclosure – oats makes them very heavy. The kids were thankful for pancakes but have been wishing for light fluffy – like I used to make when I cooked with eggs – pancakes. So here you go! Now you’ll have to just risk it like I do each time since I don’t measure the amount of water that I put in. I just add little by little until I get a good consistency that drips off the whisk (you’re going for thicker than a crepe batter but not clumpy or lumpy)
Fluffy Vegan Pancakes (with no oats – kind of)
- 3 pureed bananas – the riper the sweeter so those black bananas that you save for baking will do just fine!
- 3 cups stone ground flour – it also works with 2 cups stone ground flour and 1 cup oat flour (which I make by blending my oats in the blender until they are like flour!)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts (optional)
- 1 cup plant milk (we use cashew milk)
- 1 tbsp baking soda & some apple cider or coconut vinegar (now what you want to do is get your tbsp of baking soda onto the spoon, hold it over your mixture and pour the vinegar in small amounts onto the baking soda to make it bubble and activate. I use 2 or 3 splashes of vinegar (you wont even taste it in the pancakes)
- Whisk it all together and start adding your water, a little at a time until you achieve that drippy but not runny pancake consistency
That’s it, heat the pan with a little avocado oil and pour the batter into whatever size pancakes your family likes – or you have the skills to flip!