The health craze is happening! …in fact it has been happening for a while now. As a kid, I remember my mom trying different diets to lose weight and and gain more energy. Sadly I remember these diets going just as fast as they came.
Reality is that in order to have a “health craze” you need to be living in state of “unhealthy”. If everyone was running around with boundless energy, strong muscles and appropriate fat-to-muscle ratios we wouldn’t give a lick about the next fad diet!
So what do we need to do?
We need to take a step back and look at what we our filling our cupboards with and in turn our bodies with. We need to look at the fuel that we are providing our bodies with and the results we are getting from that fuel.
FOOD IS FUEL… every time we eat or drink it is an opportunity to either feed or fight disease.
The health and wellness industry is currently a $4.2 trillion industry because it is our human instinct to want to not only live but to thrive. We have built a society that counts the hours in each day, and for most people, fills every waking moment. Feeding ourselves is just getting in the way and we have created an unlimited resource of shortcuts to keep on keeping on! Our health has been taken for granted and put on the back burner… and now we spend more time and money than every before in history trying to gain it back. We have forgotten…
Our food and soil climate cannot sustain the kinds of meals tradition dictates and does not contain the kinds of nutrition that our grandmothers enjoyed. As the decades pass, life evolves and changes and our food choices need to as well.
How can you start?
- throw out your conventional ideas about what a meal should look like (MEAT, starch, vegetables)
- shop on the exterior of the grocery store
- eat WHOLE foods
- give your self an 80/20 goal (80% of what you eat and drink will fight disease, 20% will feed it) *because we are human, not perfection
- integrate more plant-based foods into your diet
- STOP obsessing about protein – you will get enough! SERIOUSLY!
- if you buy packaged food READ THE LABEL first, don’t eat what you can’t pronounce
- kids need a healthy diet MORE than adults do… don’t give your kids crap food because they will “run around and burn it off”, you are just feeding disease in their tiny growing bodies
- eat thoughtfully and feed your kids thoughtfully, not out of habit
Our current habits have created our current health climate.
Your habits create your health.
Fuel your body for how you want to feel each day… and if you don’t know how reach out for help 🙂