My daughter and I were invited to a summer’s end potluck and this recipe popped into my mind. I had made it in the past but somehow even though my family loves it, I had forgotten about it…until now!
CURRY CHICKPEA PITA
You can find variations of this recipe in plant-based cook books but personally I like this combo best 🙂
- 1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 1/2 large carrot (shredded)
- handful of cilantro (chopped)
- handful of sunflower seeds
- handful of pumpkin seeds
- handful of dried cranberries
- handful of daiya cheese (optional)
- 2 or 3 chopped pickles
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp yellow curry
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 lemon slice freshly squeezed
- black pepper
- a few blobs of vegan mayo… you’ll have to just mix it and decide how creamy you like it.
There is no method, just mix it all into a bowl! That is about the best I can do with measurements 🙂 I just eyeball, dump and shake while I cook. Don’t be afraid to taste it and add more or less of those flavours you love. There are lots of veggie options that make a nice addition like sweet red pepper, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, fresh garlic, etc. Have fun!
We stuffed this mixture into a pita for our potluck but it can be eaten straight up, with crackers, or on spaghetti (which is how we ate the leftovers).
This salad tastes great when you make it, awesome when you arrive at your potluck and even better the next day as the spices give out more and more flavour.