Good news Canadians… the Canada Food Guide has just released updated guidelines. Kudos to them for clearly stating that we would all benefit from a primarily plant-based diet!
“Vegetables, fruit, whole grains, and protein foods should be consumed regularly. Among protein foods, consume plant-based more often.” – Canada Food Guide
This is so important! Not that adults are really checking it for their daily servings most people eat out of habit or tradition. The reason this is so important is because these are the guidelines that are taught to our children. All school health classes and home economics classes refer to the Canada Food Guide – and now that is a GOOD thing!
If you’re interested in reading more, they have it all broken into sections of what to eat, what to avoid and what to limit. There is some really good information here and some background info as to the diseases that the foods can cause when not limited or avoided.
- eat a variety of fruits and veggies
- avoid processed foods and processed meats
- eat the majority of your protein in plant-based form
- drink water almost exclusively
- avoid added sugar, processed sugar and unnatural food additives
- choose whole grains
- avoid saturated fats (from animals and vegetable oils)
- choose unsaturated fats like nuts, seeds and avocados